Saturday 9 October 2010

WINOL

I was very interested to hear that the Online news service that is provided by Journalism students from this University was back online. It had been interesting to see, before I even decided upon Winchester as my University, that they had a fully functional news program, about as good as any local news show. Although it was not part of the course to blog about the latest bulletin, it had been suggested on the course website that it might be worth a look and might be worth a blog especially as somewhere in it was a possible small breech of the media law we have currently been studying.

The webcast opened in much the same way as any other news broadcast and it was interesting, looking down the side bar on the Winchester Journalism YouTube channel to see that the House style for WINOL had been long established. I also enjoyed how democratic the show was in that everyone seemed to be able to do their bit, if you weren't live on camera you had put together a bulletin, if you weren't doing that you could be on the camera or up in the gallery controlling which shot we see. I for one am looking forward to getting my own chance in the studio somewhere or out in the field reporting. My only taste of that so far at Winchester has been the brief but enjoyable screen test that I and all the other first year students did on our introductory lecture. After so far doing only theory/blogging based subjects which have been interesting and in some cases quite enlightening, it was nice to see the practical side of Journalism again.

It was good to see how far students had managed to come in only a year. For example at the moment, I do not think I would be able to put together a news show just like that but in a year. Who knows. It'll be the news that me and this years students report on and create that the next crop of Journalism students will write about. If I was to give it some criticism however, I might suggest that the sound quality was not perfect, sometimes strap lines disappeared before you had a chance to read them and on a few of the reports, the voice over was less than enthusiastic which seemed odd when this is the practical part of the course and supposedly the thing you are working towards in your first year.

Overall though a very good job for the first broadcast. I'll be looking out for the next one and any changes that are made throughout the year.

2 comments:

  1. Can you make more detailed points, maybe a bit more Louis above. Perhaps do a similar content review for next week's edition. Also have a look around the features on the site and see what you think. You will inherit WINOL a year from now - and the year in the classroom will pass very quickly. You get your hands on equipment again in February/March. But there's a lot to learn before you are 'street legal'

    YEAR ONE: Learn Journalism
    YEAR TWO: Do Journalism (as a reporter/ content produycer)
    YEAR THREE: Change Journalism (as an editor, developer, innovator etc).

    The news comes on line first but in a few weeks the features and magazine material will also come on line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe I blogged about WINOL in the wrong way. I've had a look at Louis blog on WINOL and it would make more sense to do it that way.

    ReplyDelete