Sunday 9 October 2011

Second WINOL. Have we improved?

The simple answer to that question is probably a no. We had more technical issues than even the most vindictive person could imagine, I even remember Ali at one point exclaiming "I've had every technical difficulty imaginable, haven't I?" Well despite those, we still managed to get the WINOL bulletin done on ti- Oh wait no it wasn't on time either. Balls.

Remember those technical difficulties? Well they plagued us in the studio as well. We couldn't get the talkback feature working on the headsets meaning the newsreaders couldn't hear a word that was being said in the gallery. Eventually we found one headset that worked, attached to one of the cameras, meaning our editor Will had to cue the newsreaders from what he was being told by production editor Jack up in the Gallery. It wasn't an ideal situation to say the least.

We'll learn from this though and I think that's all you can do from a situation like that. We messed up. But we're still only two weeks in and we can't be perfect this early on, it's just ridiculous to put that sort of pressure on ourselves. The third years had this all last year and hopefully they understand that we can only really get better, the mistakes we make will help us to put better packages together and to pull together as a WINOL news team much better than we have done so far. In our debrief Angus said there was no sense of urgency and he was right, we're putting out a news broadcast in the hope that it becomes a real source of news for the students of Winchester and beyond, we can't let our deadlines slip.

On my part I was doing the straplines again and working from the template we had last week, I had them all finished by about 11, too late for a start but at least they were done. Suddenly though I was informed we had a new logo, meaning new straps and that I'd have to do all of them again. Annoying yes but I think I managed to pull together well and get the new straps out and to the reporters, learning a new skill in the process as I'm now able to make the straplines and put them into the reports for the reporters or show them if they're willing to take a minute to learn, (although it's bloody hard to find a moment sometimes when you're rushing to get something edited on time).

This week will be better. I'm going to really try my hardest to do my jobs as soon as I possibly can so that I'm not at fault, and then help anyone who is struggling because WINOL is a team effort, we're a news team in a news room. News team! Assemble!! (http://youtu.be/PVlXYoVZHfA)

Until Next Time. Stay Classy Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment