Tuesday 21 June 2011

Hacking - Dangerous Stuff

So today, a story came out about a 19 year old man from Wickford, Essex, (quite literally down the road from me) was arrested on computer misuse charges in a raid organised by Scotland Yard and the FBI. Yeah the FBI. The man in question is thought to be part of the LulzSec hacker group which was similar to the hacking group, Anonymous, affiliated with the Wikileaks group. He was named as Ryan Cleary by most news services and his mother confirmed he had been arrested.

The raid followed a series of Denial of Service attacks, (Wikipedia article here). BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said the Metropolitan Police's e-crimes unit had confirmed the raid was linked to the recent intrusion attacks on the websites of the CIA and Britain's Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca). (BBC article here).

What made the story interesting to me was that I quite possibly went to Secondary school with this guy. From what I can remember, the guy was just another pupil. Nothing there to make me think that he was going to become a well known Internet hacker and enemy of Anonymous. They're painting him as the leader of LulzSec but as far as I can see he was just another guy mixed up in it all. Time will tell.

Until Next Time. Stay Classy Internet.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    Yes I've been away from the blog for a little while but I'll be blogging a lot more often in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete